Tuesday, September 24, 2013

**REVIEW** Alphabet Flash Cards by Educational Toys Planet


Recently, I received a pack of Alphabet Flash Cards by Education Toys Planet to try out with my kids and review them for all of you. While I did receive them for free, all opinions are 100% my own and not swayed in either direction by any outside influences.







These Alphabet Flash Cards are recommended for ages 3 and up. My youngest is 2, so I thought I would try them on her. The first thing she did when I opened the shipping package was yank them from me and try to get right into them. As you can see from the back of the pack, she really just wanted them! I also used them on AJ because of his mix up with certain letters.




The cards are bright, and eye catching. They provide excellent visuals to help with letter recognition. What I really loved about them is the rounded edge. The pictures have the rounded edge in the upper right hand corner. When it's in the left, the letters are shown. It makes it a lot easier to sort them and organize them by letters, or by pictures. There are both capitals, and lower case cards. Most cards I have purchased in the past only have one or the other, never both.



The pack also comes with these three index cards for quick reference. I used these with my son by pointing at random letters to see if he could recognize them quickly. I also called out random letters and random words (pear, cake, sun) to test him as well. Goose threw him off, as he thought it was a duck. It's understandable. They really do look similar on these cards. For Gianna, I pointed and she told me what each picture was if she was able to.

There was also a parent card with ideas on activities to try with your child. We did a few of the activities, but Gianna was just too young to really understand. AJ's attention often roamed, so it was hard to do it for long.

While I would love to say that they really did help her, I can't say they did. I think it may be because she is just too young to grasp the concept of letters. She was able to identify quite a few pictures. Just not able to get the letters correct. So, I did work on them with my 6 year old. AJ struggles with a few letters, and often mixes them up (B and D, G and J, etc). These cards helped him to see the letters and associate them with certain words. In just two weeks time (20 minutes each day, 5 days a week), his letter recognition has improved. He still mixes certain letters up, but not nearly as often as he used to. Not only has his recognition improved, his spelling has as well. He will take the index cards, and study the words then ask me to pick a few out for him to spell. So, I consider this an extra perk. Definitely a positive!

In general, I would agree that these cards are more for children older than 3. I will continue to work with Gianna as long as she shows interest. AJ still plays with them and asks me to quiz him, so I will continue to do that with him as long as he would like to. It's a great way for him and I to spend some one-on-one time doing something that he enjoys.


Feel free to check them out using the links above, or jump right into their site by age recommendations:

For 3 year olds

For 4 year olds

For 5 year olds


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to see your comments! Please remember to keep them family friendly! Spam comments will not be posted. Neither will comments that are insulting or degrading.