Saturday, August 31, 2013

What is there left to do?

Please stay with me. I'm upset, agitated, and my thoughts are all over the place. If I'm confusing, I apologize.

I've hit another snag. It has taken Sofia over 2 months to clean her room. She's done a bit daily, but always slacks off. I can't necessarily punish her for that because I was/am the same way. However, I have been getting on her case more and have started to take things way. I need to get my youngest out of a crib since she climbs out, but cannot until she cleans up to make room for the bed and to make sure things that Gianna could get hurt on are put away. HOWEVER, as I was getting her stuff together to spend the night at Grandma's tonight, I noticed something in her pillow case that wasn't her pillow. She had put her iPod in there to hide it from me.

I took it from her a while ago because she took it outside one day and broke it. It broke because she put it in her invisible pocket and it fell out while she was running. It hit her foot, went flying in the air, and shattered. I took it because 1) she knew it didn't belong outside, 2) she hid it from me, and 3) she lied when I asked about it. This happened months ago, and ever since then, I have had it hidden. This is the THIRD time she has taken it. This last time, I had it hidden in between my mattress and box spring. She KNOWS she's not allowed in my room unless I tell her she can come in. I have not allowed her in my room alone since I took the iPod away from her.

As it stands, because it's taken her so long to clean her room, she is not allowed to go to the local fair, she is not allowed to ride her bike for the rest of Summer, and she isn't having sleepovers or going to be sleeping over at anyone's house. I'm now taking the computer and game access away from her. So, what is left for disciplining her??

She just walked in, and I confronted her. First things first, she started shaking, and telling me she didn't know how it got in her pillow case. She didn't do it. Ten minutes later, after me not budging, she admitted she took it out of my room because she just couldn't live without it. This is the same spiel we went through when I caught her the first time with it in her pillow case. I'm pretty sure I blogged about it previously. Crying, lying, shaking, defensive, etc. Now she's saying that she doesn't care about herself. She cares about me, her father, her brother, and her sister. But not herself. I am fairly certain she's saying that just so that I pity her and give up on the punishments. I told her I was going to shatter her iPod since she keeps taking it and lying. She said doesn't care. I can shatter it if I want to.

I'm going to have to talk to her doctor about this, because frankly, I have no idea what to do. Depression? Normal 10 year old behavior? What?!

What do I do in the mean time? What would you do? Please give me some advice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to see your comments! Please remember to keep them family friendly! Spam comments will not be posted. Neither will comments that are insulting or degrading.