Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy Birthday, Sofia! (Throwback Thursday)

Dear Sofia,


10 years ago, when I gave birth to you, I never expected you to turn out as well as you have so far. You are beautiful, intelligent, kind, loving, just a wonderful child overall. You are stubborn in your ways, and emotional. Sometimes you let your emotions get the best of you, but that's just one of the things I love about you.

I still remember the day that you were born. I had gone to my prenatal appointment on March 20, eight days overdue. I remember having to use the bathroom, and getting up from the table. When I got up, I saw a little wet spot on the table. Figuring that I was just losing control of my bladder like an overdue pregnant woman, I didn't think much of it. Another 10 minutes passed, and I had to go again. Once again, another small spot on the paper. At that point, I told daddy to let the midwives know that I think my water was leaking.

Shortly after, Melodye came in and did a quick exam. My water was leaking, though it wasn't fully broken. We decided to send me up to L&D and get started with pitocin. Unfortunately, daddy had to go to work, so he headed up there. He wanted to stay with me, but I was sure it wouldn't be a quick birth, so I told him to go. He called often, along with the manager that was on duty that night, Sandy. They both wanted to make sure nothing major was happening to make him have to leave. He completed his shift, went home, showered, and then came up.

The contractions weren't too terrible while he was gone. But when he finally came, they were starting to intensify. I remember crying a lot, and begging for the epidural, though I said I didn't want it originally. I am just not that strong! Once the epidural was placed, I felt much better. I was able to get some rest to ready myself for the pushing. We did order a pizza around 10ish, but they wouldn't allow me to eat it because of the pitocin and epidural. As a matter of fact, I wasn't able to eat it until 5am. It was NOT good at that point!!

At about Midnight, one March 21st, it was time to push. I was 9 days overdue, and VERY ready to get this show on the road! My water was broken earlier, and was found to be darker than it should have been. Which meant that you had meconium in the waters. I pushed for 2 and a half hours, before finally proclaiming that I just couldn't push any longer. At that point, I had begged for the vacuum to be used. I flat out refused the forceps, knowing the risks of having forcep marks on your head. Dr K came in and the vacuum was used.



At 3:07am, you were born. Daddy cut your cord, and the nurse held you up briefly so that I could see you. After getting a very short glance at you, they whisked you out of the room because you had meconium in your lungs. It wasn't too bad, but it was bad enough that the little blue aspirator wasn't helping. They used a tube and high power suctioning to clear your lungs. You had a semi weak scream when you were born, but after the suctioning, it was loud.

You were so tiny. Only 5 pounds and 13 oz. 19 ¾ had inches long. You were healthy, and absolutely beautiful. I nursed you right away, and you took to nursing like a champ. You scored 8/9 on the APGAR tests, only losing points because of the meconium in your lungs. Other than that, your color was fantastic, your reflexes were great, you were alert. You were perfect. 10 fingers, 10 toes. No lasting problems from the meconium. A little bit of a pointy head from the vacuum, but that didn't last long.

We left the hospital the next day, and walked up to the mall shortly after. We just had to show you off to everyone that daddy worked with. They all loved you. Everyone who saw you fell in love with you. You were the cutest little baby ever! Though, I may be biased.

Sofia, I just want you to know that we are so very proud of you. You are growing up so quickly, and you are very wise beyond your years. Every teacher you have had in school always says that you are a pleasure to have in class. You are a social butterfly, and like to talk a lot, but will stop when asked. You don't let anyone boss you around, or your friends. You stand up for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone. You are a leader, not a follower. You are an instigator, as well. Not always a great thing, but if you apply the same tactics to causes, you will succeed.

Not only have you grown to be an amazing child, you truly have made me a better person. I went back to high school to earn my diploma when you were a baby. Let that be an inspiration, that if I could do it, with a child, you can as well. Do not ever let anything hold you back from what you want to do. I never was the partying type, but becoming a mother, your mother, proved that there was not a single party that could hold a flame to having you.

These last 10 years with you have been nothing short of amazing. Every day I am amazed with how you interact with your sister and brother. How helpful you are, and how eager you are to please others. Just please, stop being so eager to grow up! These last 10 years have flown by. Before I know it, you'll be a teenager, and wont want anything to do with me. Then you'll be 18, and in a rush to move out. I love you with all of my heart.

Happy Birthday to my first born.
Xoxo,
Mommy 

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sofia!! Just a beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sofia!! What a wonderfully written birth story Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw happy birthday to your little girl. such a cute post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Happy birthday Sofia! They grow up so fast don't they? Love your daughter's name btw.

    wwww.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to see your comments! Please remember to keep them family friendly! Spam comments will not be posted. Neither will comments that are insulting or degrading.