Sunday, December 16, 2012

At the risk of sounding like an uncaring bitch ...


Let me start by saying, what happened is devastating. It should have never happened. I couldn't imagine being one of those parents who won't be celebrating Christmas with my precious baby. 

But, I'm tired of hearing about it. My entire FB news feed is full of nothing but posts about it, videos, pictures, etc. I understand, it could happen to any of us. I agree, it's scary. I know, we need to do what we can to protect our babies. But the reality is, posting about it 100 times is not going to change it. It's not going to make the world a safer place. It's not going to bring all those children back and their teachers. It's not going to make criminals stop and think before they do this again. It just isn't going to do anything.

I keep reading people saying "How am I supposed to send my kids back to school on Monday?". For me, it's more like "I can't wait until Monday to send my kids back to school." While I do worry that something might happen to them on the way, while in, or on their way back, I do not let it consume me. I don't dwell on it. I refuse to live my life in fear. Of this, or anything. It isn't fair to me, or my kids.

And another thing, I find it EXTREMELY irresponsible to outright tell your young kids that a man walked into the school and shot up a bunch of students and teachers because he had mommy issues. A friend of mine recently informed her child of just that. Why? Because she wanted to watch the news and he didn't want to leave the room. I don't watch the news around my kids for that reason. Sofia is really sensitive and emotional. I don't need to add unneeded stress and worry to her life. And AJ just assumes the worst no matter what. I don't need them crying when it's time to go to school, worried that they might not ever make it back. That is the WORST thing you can do for your kids. If they overhear someone talking about it, and ask questions, then sure, please do put it into age appropriate words, and explain that they are safe. I don't want to make this any less than what it is, but a school shooting is not an every day thing. It doesn't happen in every community, every day or even every month. I agree that it happened far more than it needed to, but the grim reality is, it doesn't happen often enough to scare our children into thinking they might be next.

I fully, 100% understand if you think I'm a cold hearted bitch over this. That's fine. I feel like one. But, that doesn't change that I think we're over-worrying about it all. It doesn't change the fact that I'm so sick of reading about it. It doesn't change the fact that my Facebook is all depressing with 100 posts a day about it. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know I'm not the only one who is tired of reading about it. I know that come Monday, I'll still be sending my kids to school, not worried about whether I'll see them again. All I can do is let my children know that I do love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to see your comments! Please remember to keep them family friendly! Spam comments will not be posted. Neither will comments that are insulting or degrading.