Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Dinner time fail


First off, HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY, S!!! Thank you for letting us be a part of it and celebrating with you!

Now, on to the fail:
Since we were celebrating a birthday, and this would count as a party, S's family paid for dinner. We went to Texas Roadhouse. The kids loved that you could shell a peanut and just throw it on the floor. No garbage, just toss it to the floor. That was the biggest hit. They also loved that it wasn't too awfully busy and they could scream at the top of their lungs and fight the whole time. No, I'm not making it up. 

always make my expectations clear to my kids before we get to where we're going. I usually state them 3 or 4 times. Before we left the house, I told them that we were going, and they were to behave- no screaming, no fighting, inside voices, no whining, no crying, use manners. I said it again when we were in the car buckling up. And when we got to Texas Roadhouse. I said them again before we got out. Once again, I told them I wanted nothing but their best behavior, or there WILL be consequences. They always agree, and promise that they will behave.

So, why was I surprised that today would be any different? Well, for one, I thought that since it was a new restaurant and the fact that we weren't alone would be the reason they behave. Apparently, we're beyond the "I don't know if they'll still accept me if I act up" phase. My kids are now 100% comfortable with K and R to be themselves. Not to mention, when you through another child in the mix, they're all going at it. Sofia, AJ, and birthday boy were kicking each other, pulling hair, yelling, throwing peanuts, blowing the blower toys thingies at each other, whining, going under the table, then back up, under, up, under, up, etc. I warned my kids. I warned again. After an hour of them jumping around, yelling, generally disobeying, I gave up. That's it. I threw out the first punishment. No PS3 for AJ tomorrow, and for Sofia? No iPod tomorrow. Cue tears "But it's not fair!! Why? What did I do?!" Excuse me? What DIDN'T you do?? Yes, I am 100% serious. There will be no games tomorrow. And, if you continue, I will extend your punishment to Friday as well. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Please don't! I'll behave, I promise!!" and guess what? They did. For the most part. 

Kids will be kids, I know this. But when you're too busy playing to eat? No, that's not going to happen. We will not be going out to eat for a long time. I can tolerate the running around at McDs. I can tolerate it at Chuck E. Cheese. I cannot, and WILL NOT, tolerate it in a sit-down restaurant. No matter how casual they are. 

On the plus side, S loved the presents we got him. Little LANARD toys. Walmart sells them. And they're CHEAP!! $5 for a pack of 3 action figures and a vehicle. R says they're great quality, and none of them have broken yet. S and AJ played with them for the last 20 minutes we were there. It was the only time they were really quiet. I think we found what we're getting AJ for Christmas. He loses and breaks so many toys, that $5 for 3 is a great deal. 

So, now that the day is over, the kids are in bed, and I am exhausted, I think I will be taking my self to bed soon. I just have a few more things to do, and I will be able to sleep like a baby- unrestful, and awake every 1 to 2 hours. Yes, G still wakes often. As soon as I can convince her to stay asleep in her bed all night, I'm sure I'll sleep better. Until then, I remain an exhausted zombie. No worries, I am used to it. Been this way for 9+ years. *sigh* G'night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to see your comments! Please remember to keep them family friendly! Spam comments will not be posted. Neither will comments that are insulting or degrading.