Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 9- 30 days of being thankful


Day 9:

I am thankful for Ange (@gwacemom). Of course, I am thankful for all of my friends, but Ange has been riding my behind for me to have a blog about her, so I'll focus this on just her winky

As a matter of fact, the reason I'm so thankful for her isn't because of anything materialistic. I'm thankful because, without her, I would know nothing about Down syndrome. You see, her beautiful daughter, Emily, just so happens to have Ds. I was 100% ignorant on the subject. I had false thoughts, and am actually embarrassed of what perceptions I had. Emily has far exceeded my thoughts. I realized that using the 'R' word was VERY hurtful. Prior to Em and Ange, the R word was just another word to me. It was just something I said when I thought something was stupid. Well, that's where I was wrong. She helped me to see that it's not just a word. It is a word that can cut like a sword. 

Not only that, but Emily has taught me that you just can't let a disability put a limit on your worth. Emily was not 'supposed' to do half of the things that she does. If this is coming from medical professionals, then who are they to tell me what my kids can't do? Doctors just don't know everything. A disability does not DEFINE a person. It's just a diagnosis. It's a little something extra, in Em's case.

There, are you happy now, you skore?! You should be!!! I love you!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to see your comments! Please remember to keep them family friendly! Spam comments will not be posted. Neither will comments that are insulting or degrading.